Random

Home Forums Discussion Random

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    DeVaultSetter
    Keymaster

Ah, it’s a Valve game, and the site directly links to Steam for downloads, so you have it installed then. There are many things that appeal about the Steam interface, having certainly maturated, but not to the point of suppuration.
      Yes, work & play. Surely there will (or does) exist a (non VR) game that folks with shout from the rooftops runs soooo much better on *Nix than Windows. Can one ever be tempted?
      And the other thing, to reboot in order to play a game, won’t that bring forward the EOL circumstance of the precious SSD even more?
      (The persistence of such dilemmas could send one past PEBCAC territory, and into the Slough of Despond, wringing their hands, sponging their eyeballs, and shaking their very peripherals with grief!) 😭

A lot of open source games definitely run better on *nix due to better driver documentation and ease of use of the APIs. But, yeah, we need much more support!

Several years ago, there was a major push to port games to *nix but that practice most stopped after just a few years. Probably from higher development costs for a small audience

Will rebooting shorten the lifespans? I have the operating systems installed on two physical drives. Granted, I’m not overly familiar with these things. Hard drives make sense as they’re mechanical but SSDs I definitely don’t understand. As near as I can tell, the technology is simply magic. “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” as the old saying goes.

DeVaultSetter
      Keymaster

Ah, missed that the SSD will be to load the games on, which makes sense, sorry. Yeah, on the W11 machine here, it’s the opposite, the OS lives on the SSD for a really speedy bootup, and if there’s any room left (500 GB), games can be installed, played, then uninstalled in order to accelerate its demise. πŸ˜›
        HDDs are different, the motor driving the rotation usually conks out before anything else. πŸ™‚
        Is it ever worth trying SteamOS at some stage, SteamOS3 runs games better than Windows, so long as one uses Steam Deck hardware apparently.

Yep. Got two SSDs: one has Windows and the other is *nix. I like to keep the two systems separate as Windows Update sometimes likes to do weird things. Learned that the hard way about twelve years ago πŸ˜›

Might be worth a try at some point. It’s designed as sort of an HTPC software package but for games instead of for general use. πŸ™‚

My mom found an old camera in the river a few days ago and, miraculously, the SD card was still completely working!

Power Girl’s solo series is starting up soon! Will get the first few issues but the special was a blast so I’m definitely looking forward to her solo πŸ™‚

DeVaultSetter
        Keymaster

Wow, know what model? If it’s possible to view the content either through the camera or an SD reader, does there come up anything interesting?
          How interesting, the Wikipedia article says there was an earlier series:

Starting in July 2009, Power Girl received her first ongoing series, simply titledΒ Power GirlΒ (vol. 2), with the first twelve issues written byΒ Jimmy PalmiottiΒ andΒ Justin Gray, drawn byΒ Amanda Conner,[10]Β and colored byΒ Paul Mounts.[11][12]Β According toΒ Comic Book Resources, the series has been “wildly praised for its fresh and fun approach.”[13]

Wonder who she paired with in that?
          The local newsagency moved shop in downsizing, and funnily enough at the same time someone faraway decreed no more MAD magazine issues were to enter this country. It so happens this is the last issue here. RIP AEN! πŸ™
          Edit: Posted this to Facebook, as the file was a bit too large (Zuck has plenty of free). πŸ˜›

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by DeVaultSetter.

Couldn’t tell from the picture she sent me. It was so old that the case was in pretty poor condition but the pictures on the card loaded without trouble. She said they were just vacation pictures at water areas around the state

Yep, a new ongoing has been a long time coming! I’m still relatively new to comics but I think she mostly likes to work alone. They just released the solicitations through November (and December in Batman’s case) so it’s time to start picking out covers again! Really liking some of the artwork coming out in a couple of months! πŸ™‚

Oh, no! That’s no fun! πŸ™

πŸ˜€

Yeah, my mom often gets irritated at their file size limitations. She complains all the time about the reduction in photo quality! πŸ˜›

DeVaultSetter
          Keymaster

There’s no room anywhere to post our ridiculous piccies. Here’s another post, of our favourite dog, spent hours trying to find out how one could post it as a simple slideshow in Facebook, guides like these don’t work. The remaining option is just to record the stills in an MP4 video. πŸ˜•
            Right now, after a bit of thunder it is raining! Hope it keeps up a while. β›ˆ

They are making progress on using DNA to store files! But, yeah, the file limitations are getting annoying, especially as file sizes increases as cameras improve.

Adorable! He’s really enjoying the sunbeam! πŸ˜€

Great! It’s gotten a tad warm again but it’s still much better than it was πŸ™‚

I still need to get the hang of emojis/special characters. Seems like I don’t have the right support package installed over here on Linux. Will get it sorted out!

Trying to pick out the Power Girl cover for October is hard! I like both of the primary variants! πŸ˜›

DeVaultSetter
            Keymaster

Second one is more in character, also like the retro ones.
              Always thought pork fat was much healthier than beef fat. Turns out, not that much. πŸ˜›

Yep! That’s a good one! I may have to flip a coin. πŸ˜›

I do like the traditional covers but I also like to the get the fun ones every now and then. Such as this one. That one is great! πŸ˜€

But it lends a better flavor to pie crusts! I tend to use olive oil a lot when making pie crusts. Bit unorthodox but I love the strong flavor! πŸ™‚

The Sims 4 went free to play right before I fried the previous system so I think I’ll give it a whirl in the next week or so (finally). I do like The Sims πŸ™‚

I was at the store the other day and saw they had the Mad Film Special compilation so I went ahead and grabbed it. Have some of the content in my old issues (I remember some of the cartoons) but it should be fun!

Was testing load temperatures today while playing No Man’s Sky (they’re much lower than I expected in the 70 – 80 C range) to see if I should consider doing some cooking upgrades and, while mining. The rock grew legs and ran away! They’ve changed the game a lot since I last played πŸ˜›

DeVaultSetter
              Keymaster

Going to play The Sims on Windows again? Might go nicely with Vulkan on Linux.
                Yes, MAD has gone entirely to Reprintsville, there will be nothing like it again, I’m afraid. Yet, … still looking. πŸ™‚
                Sounds like they they have found a template, or at least the rock had an idea of what you were looking for, and ran off to get it!

Ouch! All my kerf for your surf & turf, herbs and spices from yonder werf!

I could try it on Linux, certainly! It’s really just VR that must be done on Windows due to how the driver layers work πŸ™‚

Cracked used to be good but I haven’t checked in on them in at least ten years while The Onion is always a hoot! πŸ¦‰

Could be! πŸ˜€

I do want to get back to writing in there. Maybe the new features will help give me inspiration!

I’ve always liked NMS but, now, things are a lot livelier! πŸ™‚

So I read the first book in the Wheel of Time series and it wasn’t exactly my cup of tea. I found it way too similar to Lord of the Rings for my tastes. The plot was almost a carbon copy without all the fantasy creatures so it didn’t really feel all that original.

DeVaultSetter
                Keymaster

Um, sounds like you might be considering loading up Starfield.
                  Not tempted to see the TV series then?
                  After years of swarms of vinegar flies happily feasting on the citrus/onion scraps in a bucket in the laundry, there has occurred a mass extinction event. Possibly bacteria, but no perceived odour.
                  Tweak Guides lives on thanks to xjdhdr! πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by DeVaultSetter.

It’s on the list! Going to wait for a sale, though. πŸ™‚

I do quite enjoy the freedom of NMS and how it doesn’t have a story or anything. It does have rudimentary quests but they’re mostly designed to introduce you to the game elements. It’s not exactly an RPG, mostly a survival and space exploration game πŸ™‚

Probably not. Now, Discworld would make a fun anime series. Surprised they haven’t done an adaption yet!

Strange! I wonder if some of the fumes have neutralized the odor?

Yay! He is missing many of the older ones from the pre-Geforce days. They may have been removed by the original author, though. I lost track of the site around 2013 :/

In particular, his article analyzing the visual effects various graphical settings had were quite beneficial!

DeVaultSetter
                  Keymaster

Could be, next time it happens, we’ll set up a crime scene, won’t be too long as there were one or two new arrivals today.
                    Yes, he updated it religiously, here are snapshots for 2005, 2010, and 2015, after which the site was revamped.
                    Subliminal is a nice turn on Superliminal, as seen in the trailer:

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 208 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Discussion Random