Random

Home Forums Discussion Random

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    DeVaultSetter
    Keymaster

Got some mushroom solar lights in the garden which all need new batteries, got the batteries, now all that’s required is the time to do them. 😛
      🙂 Over here there’s a local-community.org hub which can double as a lost/found noticeboard. Apart from one item several years ago, there have been sporadic reports of pets (mainly dogs) going missing, and consequently found. Might be an idea for the local government to hand the baton over to the post office or even the public library to handle lost/found property matters. It’s probably been done before, and hasn’t worked. 😛
      Entanglement is a mystery- the distance was discovered to be over 1200km – how much can it get to?
      Been busy in the garden preparing for a dry season(s) ahead, along with the manual control of weeds, especially renegade blackberry growth. Fun. 🙂

Awesome! I’ve been tempted to take a stool and make it look like a toadstool myself. 😀

We have a lot of groups (some local government) it looks like that post online regarding lost/found pets. Not sure of the success rate, though. I think a lot of people aren’t aware of the listing services. Maybe a better information campaign would help?

Yep! It’s a curious event. I can see it being used for things at a great distance such as for communication or even beaming energy back without direct lines of sight. Still early stages yet but it holds a lot of potential!

I found more grape vines that are producing in the swamp. Made a mental note of them for August. 🙂

I probably need to pour some more vinegar into my air handler’s port. Did it a while ago before Spring but it’s probably a good idea to do it again now that the hot season is starting.

I was at the hardware store yesterday and they’ve already started moving the Christmas stuff in. It’s too early!

DeVaultSetter
      Keymaster

Any idea of the grape variety? Could be the muscadine which has many cultivars apparently.
        Vinegar is a really good descaler, for total clean Sodium Metabisulphite came to mind, briefly, as it’s very unpleasant to work with. It requires absence from the room while it is bubbling through the pipes after which it has to be all flushed out with water, making it totally messy and over complicated. A working video might attract a certain Youtube crowd. 😛
        Christmas in July perhaps? Could also be a novel way of stocking up with XMAS gear now, for the crowd pleasing effect of putting all those items on sale when the season actually arrives!
        Replacing a lavender planted last year which died most probably because of insufficient sunlight (it was a wet year), a Blueberry Lavender “Ruffles” has been put in a slightly sunnier position nearby. Thing is, despite it being bred for Australian (think sunny) conditions, there’s only about half a day direct sun available, the rest is filtered, so hope it’s enough.

No idea! They are larger than the ones I usually pick but are still green so it’s hard to say

Definitely not the sort of thing I want to run through the AC pipes 😛

The videos of LN2 used to be pretty fun to watch. Too bad they went out of style!

They were selling firewood advertised as Christmas logs in 90F 😛 Let’s go with stocking up!

Ooh, I like the bloom. The lavender over here looks completely different! It does say part shade so hopefully it’ll be okay 🙂

DeVaultSetter
        Keymaster

Who was LN2? Is he/she still around? Talking of which, the Chiki ngebul or dragon’s breath candy is all the rage!

Pity it’s not safe, but what do you expect from a name like dragon’s breath?
          Bit of a cold snap over here, so the fire is definitely alive and – firing!
          As with the above, most of my nursery requirements have been local, else it’s a quick visit over to Daley’s, great service, and as tends to be the case these days, most of the really good gets are on backorder. 🙁

Sorry! LN2 refers to liquid nitrogen. 🙂

There used to be a trend where people would toss random objects in a bucket of it and then capture the subsequent splintering process in slow motion.

Yep, definitely don’t want to be putting it in your mouth! Now, Dippin Dots on the other hand….

We’re actually having a rather mild Summer so far. It’s rarely gotten over 85F. My electric bill is the lowest it’s ever been at this time of year. It’s been nice!

Yeah, I have to go to a nursery out of town to get good local plants. Most of the ones in town just sell the standard assortment. The one out of town specifically sells local varieties, however, so it’s always best to call them to make sure they have the variety I want as it varies from season to season.

So there’s a town called Surprise in Arizona…? That was a…surprise 😛

Started reading the Discworld books the other day and they’re a blast! Lots of humor and craziness. They’re right up my alley! 😀

DeVaultSetter
          Keymaster

In West Virginia, there is a town called Shock. The road between Surprise and Shock is sure to be a bumpy one. 😛
            There’s also the game, have you played it? Now for sale at MobyGames, the DOS game may require a CD emulator to work (eg), and free at the Wayback Machine.

Cool! Lots of weird town names about. 😀 But Shock and Surprise didn’t make the cut 🙁

Wasn’t aware of it but will add it to the play list!

The books are really fun! Highly recommended!

DeVaultSetter
            Keymaster

Truth or Consequences is about the strangest one encountered on the list:
              “Excuse me, may I buy a ticket to Truth or Consequences?” “Certainly sir, which one would it be?” “Either one.”
              For the UK game on FTA over here, Tipping Point, “I can certainly provide directions to the Tipping Point, but first you’ll have to contact Junkyard Reception!”
              Glad you did, Pratchett was a true humourist, pity he got the early onset Alzheimers with complications else there would have been a lot more to the Discworld saga for sure!
              Going through some of Mum’s books there was a Dictionary of Shorthand, think it was a Pitmans, she was once very good at it, all forgotten now. 🙁

😀

We have three towns with the same name here. It can get really confusing! 😛

Yeah, it’s really sad 🙁

The waitlist is really long! Going to take me a while to get to the second book! 😛

🙁

We had a brief lesson in shorthand in grade school once. Not sure of the rationale but I never did get the hang of it. I found the symbols to be quite confusing!

Bad luck over here. Talked with the game stores and it sounds like the pandemic caused the community for the card game I play to dry up. Going to chat with them some more next week. Maybe something will work out as the clerk also plays the same game

DeVaultSetter
              Keymaster

What’s the card game again? (With these fumbling hands the best is 52 card Pickup!)
                Funny how the Steam servers choke up when there’s a sale on.
                Cold and dry over here, how is it over your way?

Sorry! It’s this one 🙂

I really do enjoy it even if I’m not very good. Never been very good at games but that’s okay!

When GOG was giving away Neverwinter, the servers went down for almost a week! They wound up giving it away again a few months later as a result 😛

Hot and humid! It’s horrible! I cheated the other day and grabbed some ice cream on the way home from my walk, though, so that helped 😛

Been looking at scientific journals again and, while there are a lot of them, Science and Nature, along with their affiliates, look rather promising

DeVaultSetter
                Keymaster

Brrrrr (shivering) the very thought of icecream and it’s “I scream”! 😛
                  You mean this site? Definitely worth a look, scrolling or paging down to the bottom, and it bounces up some and hides the text. We also have our own Science and Nature. 🙂
                  Had a thought that we should rename this topic to Random Wreckoning Balls- does it quite suit though?
                  On the radio today was Platform capitalism and the curse of “enshittification”, sort of thing I like to listen while roaming, as it were. Has a site, Craphound with a link to the mailing feed with heaps of fun stuff such as Capitalists Hate Capitalism. 😛

😛

Sorry, was referring to these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_(journal) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_(journal) 🙂

Cool! Wish we still had catalogues like that but they mostly stopped about fifteen years ago. I miss them as they were quite fun 🙁

Sure! Would provide more atmosphere! 😀

Yep, Doctorow has some intriguing ideas. Used to read him on Boing Boing back when he was a regular contributor.

xkcd used to have some fun with him, too 😛

We need a show about literal clowns that develop a space program. Why? Why not! 😀

We should harness the heat from volcanoes for practical purposes. Many metals can withstand the temperatures so there’s no reason not to!

DeVaultSetter
                  Keymaster

Can’t believe there were xkcd comics that had to be explained. No matter for concern anymore as we have them all explained (mostly). 😛
                    Deviant Art has this for an idea. This one rather pretty! 🙂
                    Just plug into the caldera and play! Another one is to relocate large scale high energy consuming manufacturing outfits to the volcano, set up a thermoelectric generator, and ring the factory bells. 🙂

Awesome images! I should browse Deviant Art more often!

For a ship, the clowns could have a mini ship like a clown car 😛

Cool! Didn’t know about such a device. Will definitely need to read more about it!

I was thinking of setting geothermal generators in the volcanoes but TEGs could also be handy! How big can they be before efficiency tanks, I wonder? I don’t see that mentioned in the article. The idea with volcanoes is definitely worth exploring more!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 208 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Discussion Random