Random

Home Forums Discussion Random

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    DeVaultSetter
    Keymaster

Ooh, Galactus showed up on that page. Lovely, it’s very much like a Jack Kirby production:
      Galactus
      Cool, the Indexed site sports an xkcd comics vibe to it, which makes sense as it launched just after, in 2006. Do identify with the conception of our measure of time, it’s possible the reverse can be true, things are trending to less complicated, well explained, and bundled with instruction manuals written in universal and easily decipherable languages such as Mathematics and Gravity!

Entertainment Earth (a Sideshow competitor with a lot more stuff) had some too, at one point. Nothing recent, though. Power Girl doesn’t get enough publicity 🙁

At one point, xkcd was linking to Indexed but that link was removed sometime in the last fifteen years. Wonder if they had a falling out?

There’s another idea: all the happenings on Earth are the results of spirits of past civilizations playing out pranks! 😀

DeVaultSetter
      Keymaster

And another one, when we go, let’s all get prepped up for the big Welcome Party those Pesky Past Spirits will be throwing, and, horrors upon horrors, if no party, we’ll be doing the throwing! 😛

One of our favourite licorice mfgs have finally hit the ether, confectionary is a tough game, and the first cab off the block in tough times. Here the plan for a lucrative luscious licorice patch remains pre-liftoff- though with possible health benefits, a marketing approach is for a worldwide distribution of Likeable Licorice Health Balls- what’s in a name I hear you ask?
        The photo of Arnie and statue still pops up all over the place, explained here.

🙁 We don’t have many candy shops left in Florida but several other states still have a healthy ( 😛 ) amount of them. Most of our “candy” here is the hard sugar and artificially flavored stuff we pick up in the supermarket. Have made my own before with real ingredients and it turns out so much better! One of these days, I plan to make marshmallow with real mallow! 🙂 Fun fact: the Egyptians used to use them as cough drops!

Haven’t seen that one before 😛

Now we just need Stallone with Rocky! 😀

DeVaultSetter
        Keymaster

😀 Stallone laid flat out in the middle of a Rocky Road? Overdid it on too many rounds of you know what. 😛
          Advertising on FTA is trending nowhere fast – and slow, as we expect it to do with respect to any geologic time scale. Can “Secret Science” can be used to make them work more for us?

“Bad Ad” placements inside ads might work well, featuring punchlines laced with AI generated content even, the good news for super savvy recipients is the novelty shine will tarnish before the year’s out. 😛

And the future of advertising, where else but the heavily scented video game urinal of our waking dreams!

Over here, our local OTA ads are pretty much medication related or for personal injury lawyers now. In some cases, ads are run but the product is never even mentioned at all in the ad, save in the fine print that you need to get up to the TV to see, so they aren’t all that effective. I miss the days of fun ads! 🙁

Smellovision! 😀 Disney still uses it for some of their attractions!

I knew some of the artwork in Batman 143 looked rather odd when it came out and someone did some investigating as they felt the same and it turns out that it may have been AI generated. The style didn’t even fit in with the surrounding artwork. It was very weird

DeVaultSetter
          Keymaster

Yes, legal teams championing work related injuries big over here along with pet/funeral insurance, discount furniture and sports betting apps, and who cannot sample the delights of loud and frequent promotions of reality programs – what else is new? 😛
            Great concept in the evolution of theatre, around the time of Weiss the Adams Family was like unto the Munsters, Smellovision was like unto Aromarama it seemed. All that is left now of Aromarama is Da Bomb. 🙂
            Quite an interesting choice for artists, is it not reasonable to use AI in situations where some repetition can be avoided? The AI robot “knows” the artist’s style, and will generate forms in a similar manner to him, and if the result looks too artificial, he just touches it up a little. Who will notice?
            $55 is surely a hefty price for the comic book, no doubt a sizable portion of the proceeds will be returned to the artist’s industrious AI developers. 😛
            Batman @ BeachBum Comics

I’ve seen a variety of flavored soaps, too! Used to be pretty popular but that trend seems to have waned 😛

About half the cost is for the grading and cover price. The grading service is 15 – 20 USD depending on outfit and the cover price is 6 – 7 USD. Looks like it’s also signed so that adds additional value. Personally, though, I wouldn’t pay more than 10 USD for an issue 😛

I wouldn’t have minded if it weren’t such an odd one. Yeah, I’m sure they could have trained it with enough data entry (not sure how those things work).

Interesting article in the most recent issue of Nature. They’re talking about how things keep falling down the digital memory hole and need to be better preserved. Haven’t read it yet as I’m still a few weeks behind but the Internet Archive definitely needs continued support so we don’t lose all of this important stuff!

DeVaultSetter
            Keymaster

Grading and cover pricing are relatively recent developments in comic pubs, there’s thread on grading and Cvr pricing over at Reddit. Back in the day, comic syndication was the province of newspaper editors, as a replacements these on first spec come across as an elaborate way of increasing revenue for Mr. Middleman!
              Middleman comic hero
              There’s obviously more to it, so waiting with bated breath for more developments at portals such as BeachBum Comics, which hopefully turn up commingled with streamlined prices at the checkout. 🙂
              Have you ever borrowed a book from a library, and not returned it yet? How about this fellow not returning Psychedelics for 37 years! A candidate ripe for The Book of Alternative Records no doubt. 😛
              Have Californian geraniums your way? Quite a handsome looking plant naturalising further north of here as an not too unpleasant escapee from gardens. 🙂

Yeah, grading a weird area. A lot of collectors like it but I personally don’t see the draw. It’s not like you’ll be able to open the comic up after it’s been sealed! I want to read it! 😛

I’d do it for something that I find special, though. Maybe for a certain issue that speaks to me or was a friendship gift or the like. 🙂

There’s also Seinfeld’s take! 😀

Need a copy of the Book of Alternative Records, for sure. Would make for a great coffee table book!

We should but I haven’t really seen any myself. Will have to keep an eye out for them!

Whelp.

Awesome. May need to start a new save for this one. The same old station every time did get a bit old 🙂

DeVaultSetter
              Keymaster

Back in the day they would release “Collector’s item” comic editions, usually compilations, best of’s, or reprints of #1s or notable artist or event editions. Believe it or not, there’s even an article about that, doesn’t mention value or prices, unsurprisingly. 😛
                🙂 If for some reason we become unsatisfied with the veracity of content on the Book of Alternative Records, we could publish our own Alternative Book of Alternative Records, with a note in the preface explaining that the current edition won’t contain alternative facts! 😛
                Got the landscaper here, he’s dug out a large Century Plant as the radial roots have been pushing up pups for years now. The description and proposed actions in this article are rather drastic, over here “more gentle” methods such as application of undiluted glyphosate on the triffids agave clusters have also failed. Despite a soft spot for the appearance of plant and flower, there is no hankering for an agave lawn, and bye the bye it has spread a little down the eastern gully side, and more prominently on the far northern hillside. 🙁

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by DeVaultSetter.

There are still omnibus editions and trade paperbacks! As well as compilations of limited series like Watchmen. 🙂

😀 Book is only a few USD, probably worth snagging. 🙂 Shame it seems to be out of print, though, even though the website is still being updated.

Yeah, a lot of businesses have them here and they’re going nuts! I’ve been trying to eradicate elephant ears from my garden with limited success. Tried digging them out and they come back. Tried dowsing them in glyphosate and that knocks them back for a while but then they come back eventually. Going to need to see if there’s something stronger. Mexican petunias are also problematic here. They’re taking over after someone planted them a long time ago. They’re even growing up underneath the siding of the buildings. While I love the appearance of both, they’re really a problem!

DeVaultSetter
                Keymaster

Libra or Clara? 😛
                  Luckily the Mexican Petunias are susceptible to frost which keeps them away from here somewhat, there’s a handy Grow Me Instead for this locale, there’s sure to be similar your way.
                  Surprised about the elephants ears taking hold, again, they are frost tender, so don’t get them in the wild in these here parts.
                  Came across these in the brain teasers, corpses is an anagram of process, resonate is an anagram of senator, and, first up from this site, dirty room is an anagram of dormitory! Some good ones in there! 🙂

Probably the Libra. I quite like the form factor: it’s roughly the size of a hardback book so it feels quite natural in my hands when I’m reading it. 🙂

Really, my only complaints are some of the software bugs but they’re more annoyances than deal breakers. 🙂

Yeah, I’m a big fan of salvias. Here, they can stay around a few years before going belly up due to the climate. They smell wonderful, too

Awesome! 😀

In a similar vein, this is a fun oddity 😛

DeVaultSetter
                  Keymaster

You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time

What if it’s just the wafer cone without the filling? Funny about Joe Biden’s ice cream Gaza ceasefire speech, if it was performed in Washington with a lollipop instead, illegal!

Had a recent scare involving asbestos in mulch in schools, much of it is bonded though. When conditions become hot, dry and windy, there’s more of a risk. Use mulch all the time here, but it’s locally sourced, fortunately. 🙂

The banana car has done the rounds in news media again, earlier iterations are from at least 2008 such as the following beauty:
                    Banana Car
                    Even earlier (~2002) was the banana bus. 😛
                    Banana Bus

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by DeVaultSetter.

And from Alaska:

“Kangaroos are not allowed in barber shops at any time.”

Some of them really make you wonder 😛

Yuck. Asbestos can be messy. 🙁

Awesome! Doing an image search shows a lot of them on a banana but what about a bus being enclosed in a banana? That could be fun!

Random memory: many moons ago when I was in the market for a Blu-ray player, the store told me to buy a PS3 instead. Needless to say, I went to a different shop to get one. 😛

This place looks interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Mart

We’re getting an Area 15 in Florida in the next few years. Sounds like it could be fun to explore the venue. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 208 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Discussion Random