Films & TV Shows

Home Forums Discussion Films & TV Shows

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 156 total)
  • Author

Eaten Alive was pretty fun, even if the slasher wasn’t very good at the job description. He had to keep chasing his victims to get them. In most slashers, there’s not really a challenge until the end 😛

It also had a few familiar names!

And The Zero Boys was also a fun one, but a bit too much action flick for my tastes.

DeVaultSetter
    Keymaster

Neville Brand has certainly played many a villain, and Robert Englund, who can forget him? Got eyes on Sanitarium if and when the movie gets here. 🙂
      Space Cowboys has not improved over time since the first viewing, in fact decidedly worse, so, despite the search for redeeming features and stellar cast, 5/10 at best.
      In Road House, Ben Gazzara played a cool villain, until he started blowing stuff up! The performances and singing at the venues entertained, including a version of Hoochie Coochie Man. Many years on, our star reviewers down under did not rate it well at all, with the extra site-endowed bonus of: after scrolling down that page while the video is playing, scrolling back up restarts it. 😛

And don’t forget Carolyn Jones!

Haven’t seen Space Cowboys before but Tommy Lee Jones is usually good at least for a viewing even if his acting doesn’t exactly hold up well for subsequent viewings. Though, Men in Black was an exception!

The Initiation was fun, made more so by the fact that I kept thinking of Princess Vespa in Spaceballs the whole time 😛

DeVaultSetter
      Keymaster

Roadhouse had one good quote based on an old theme,- it was the occasion when Red West was asked a seemingly rhetorical question, he replied: Does a hobby horse have a wooden dick?.
        Saw the first episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender, it’s very good, though given the glowing reviews, did expect a little more in the graphics detail. The stories fill the 30 minute slot too well perhaps, and there was the novel experience of Roku coming through the Roku box. Have you seen it?
        The aliens in Mars Attacks! were hilarious, the humans not so much, and the throwaway plot could have done with a brush up. It’s fair to say the new entrants to Mt. Rushmore are now etched permanently into memory!

Saw a few episodes of Avatar but it’s been close to fifteen years since. Not sure I have access now but worth checking. I did enjoy the few episodes I saw 🙂

Yep, Mars Attacks was a fun one even if the human side of things left a little to be desired. 😛

We come in peace! We mean you no harm! *pew pew* 😀

Alright, got Night of the Lepus in the queue now. Finally after ten years. This weekend! 😀

DeVaultSetter
        Keymaster

Funnily enough, the movie was originally entitled Rabbits.
          You know, Google yields no Rabbit World amusement park, there are games, RabbidsLand and Rabbit World though.
          Do watch for those Wabbits – could this be admitted as the main theme for the film?

These days it may require some exertion to get one’s head around Empire Magazine’s ranking of The Long Good Friday as number 19 in the top 100 British films for all time. For me, top notch B-Grade. 😛
          If you ever wish to entertain any empathy for real estate salesmen, do not proceed to place GenGarry Glen Ross on the watchlist, but then you will miss out on the finest dialogue ever constructed from expletives and deletives alone. Recommended. 🙂

No bunny park!? But we need the Killer Wabbit!

Or Fudd:

😀

Will look out for those!

You’ll probably want to skip The Majorettes. Funnily enough, the critical response section echoes my sentiments exactly. About an hour into the film, it makes a detour with a brand new plot in the same film and starts up a short thirty minute action film after finishing the slasher film with the same characters. It was weird. In it, the hero is an amazingly good shot with a machine gun and never misses!

DeVaultSetter
          Keymaster

😀 Draw the FuddGates! That man has to be held culpable for Fudding the landscape with wascally wabbits!

Could have been a directorial ploy to grab the attention of certain patrons known to fall asleep in those dark, dank, smoky cinemas of yesteryear, because they have each borne witness to predictable plots and lifeless acting all before. Either that, or a directorial overdose of amphetamines, prompting a sudden desire to end the current plot and introduce new sets and characters as promotion for their next up and coming, but completely unrelated hit movies!

Do faintly remember seeing this before, A_Fistful_of_Dollars, there is a solid Clint fanbase over here down under, so our hero is sure to rise on one channel as soon as he sets on another. The film is just about as brutal as any slasher, eclipsing the finer points of Leone’s styling, hence unable to dispel the dubiousness in Rotten Tomato’s rating of #8 in their top 100 Westerns. (Well, looking at that list, Wikipedia is out of date, as it is now #14, replaced by Unforgiven at #8).
            OTOH, there may not be more than around 20-30 westerns in that list worth seeing (again) in any case, which is testimony to the eternal critical dilemma, a “good” film may not always be an “enjoyable” one. 😛

Night of the Lepus was hilarious! In one part, a guy in a bunny costume launches himself at another guy, hugging him. The costumes didn’t even look real 😀

Death Spa was a lot of fun. If you ever want to open a gym, it’s good viewing for what not to do. No parties in the workout room, for instance! 😛

Yeah, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was the best one of the three “Dollars” films. Bit of a long one, though, with a few scenes that don’t really add anything. In the OTA version, they usually cut out that fluff 🙂

Have you seen Killer Klowns from Outer Space yet? It’s great!

DeVaultSetter
            Keymaster

In Space, No One Can Eat Ice Cream

Only Ice-Kream, a speciality available only from Killer Klown Konfectionary! Did see the film an awful long time ago – do have an eye out for the merch, a welcoming doormat is just the thing!
              Killer Klown Doormat
              Talking of quiz shows, there is no series 6 of Mastermind Australia (yet), consequently reruns have been placed in the usual time slot for the tragics looking for a kwik Kwiz fix.
              Mind you, to date no-one here has offered Mastermind Killer Klowns as their special subject of interest, and the same can be said of Hard Quiz. Guaranteed to change if there is ever a remake! 🙂

The other films that are planned have been trapped in development hell for a long time but they do have a game coming out!

Beginning to run out of slashers on Tubi so I’ll be moving to science fiction soon. Probably should rewatch the Brain that wouldn’t Die again. That was a fun one!

DeVaultSetter
              Keymaster

American Hustle is worth a look, loud blaring dialog, music and effects are de rigueur in making everything come across as more convincing, did note the nutritional reference in microwaving food, which, believe it or not, sparked a law suit.
                Monster In Law came up with one or two memorable gags, plus a bonus surprise in the TV scene:

Will look out for it!

Yuck. A lot of people falsely believe that microwaves break down the nutrients even though it’s been disproven. It’s something they don’t teach you in health class, even though they cover healthy eating. Bit of a weird omission

Silent Scream was okay. Not much depth to it and the plot was pretty shallow but some of the acting was fun. Overall, I’d give it a C but not enough to watch again 🙂

DeVaultSetter
                Keymaster

Might have seen it sometime pre-millennia, standard fare, Yvonne de Carlo could have insisted on a better direction perhaps, would there be any truth in suggesting that being Merman’s wife well and truly wore her out?
                  Not sure about Confessions of a Dangerous Mind either, there’s something in it that does not attract, perhaps the matter-of-fact dialog style – and the as-you-please or “laissez-faire” directorial approach. A pre-viewing requisite would be some knowledge of Chuck Barris, who compered the Gong Show. For redeeming features, a second (viewing) opinion is required, so one for the backburner. 🙂
                  Bill & Ted, for me the Beavis and Butthead of Sci-Fi fantasy- doesn’t quite fit, but there you go. Bogus Journey had a couple of gags including the seance scene:

DeVaultSetter
                  Keymaster

A MAD TV interlude:

Didn’t care too much for Bogus Journey, really liked the first one more. Something about it just seemed a little off, as though their heart just wasn’t in it.

I’m not sure we can even get MadTV over here. Makes me sad. I used to enjoy it when I was a kid 🙁

Saw Night Game the other day and the acting was pretty good but the plot was horrendous. We’re expected to assume too many points in the mystery, which leaves you baffled 😛

DeVaultSetter
                    Keymaster

Vaguely recall Night Game, standard fare for a storyline dappled with embellishments wrought into the pressing matter of that bad old killer being brought to account.
                      It’s generally accepted Rabbits have enjoyed hearty attention by film directors of the ages, scarce few of those have attempted such delicate and sensitive treatment of sheep as seen in Black Sheep. The gore alone would put most slashers out of business, and has not only put horror back into comedy, but comedy back into horror! And yep, comedy is a funny word when used to describe something you’re never going to laugh at. 😛

There’s always Goat Simulator! 😛

Started watching the original Dragon Ball the other day and it’s a lot of fun. Very different from DBZ and I quite like it! 🙂

DeVaultSetter
                      Keymaster

Coffee Stain? By the tenor of some of those critic ratings, was it a stain from something else besides? 😛
                        Dragon Ball is huge, with a boatload of games to boot! The last, Awakening, is that a kind of TCG, or is Panini a separate game?
                        Unlocked wasn’t great, though a good movie to have on while in the kitchen, as the clear smooth voices of Douglas, Collette, Malkovich and others do not require the hearing aids. 😛
                        Fallout the TV Series is out next month on Amazon, will it be enough to bring folks in to playing the well-known Bethesda series I wonder?

It was mostly a joke game but had a lot of publicity 😛 Haven’t played it myself yet but I’ve been meaning to just for the “fun” of it 😛

Yep! Most the games are your standard fighter fair but that does make some sense as the most popular series (DBZ and Super) are all about fighting. They did make an RPG a couple of years back, Kakarot, following Goku’s life but I haven’t checked it out yet even though it goes on sale pretty often. They could easily do an adventure game based on Dragon Ball since that’s less fighting and more about making friends and hunting the Dragon Balls. Seems like a missed opportunity!

Awakening looks like it’s the digital version of the physical card game. The actual card game used to be pretty popular but has waned in recent years but I think our LGS may still sell some packs (not sure, though).

Fallout could be a good one for a series as it’s got a lot of lore to it that they can explore, especially the time before the games. Will be quite interesting to see how it turns out! They’re also doing a tie in with the Magic card game. They just did an LotR tie-in, not sure how Fallout fits in 😛

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 156 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Discussion Films & TV Shows