Films & TV Shows

Home Forums Discussion Films & TV Shows

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 156 total)
  • Author

Time to kick this off!

Rewatched The Goonies the other day and it’s a blast even after all this time. Lately, I’ve had a hard time focusing on quality stuff so I’ve been watching a lot of creature features. I do enjoy them and they’re pretty easy to watch. Leviathan was a fun one that was on my list for a few years. Of course, they play it often OTA so I didn’t need to watch it on Roku but meh 😛

Caught Sleepaway Camp the other day and that was fun. Got Slumber Party Massacre on the docket for this weekend. It’s been on the watchlist for twenty years! 😛

Slumber Party Massacre was a riot! Worth every minute! 😀

DeVaultSetter
    Keymaster

Yes, the Goondocks, hey that’s – we’re in it. (Aside: Probably a good thing with own water as it is getting expensive around the city up north.)
      Well, a “quality” creature feature – see what you mean – a popular one here on FTA that came close was Rampage.
      Oh, you mean the 2021 version? The 1982 version doesn’t rate well compared to Sleepaway Camp, for instance.
      Almost completed the first season of Wayward Pines – working well for me though it’s not quite classic grade.
      The state FTA are screening the Documentary Now shows, wow, the “DRONEZ: The Hunt for El Chingon” episode is actually quite alarming as they release footage indicating the sudden demise of journalists at the hands of drug thugs.
      Another one relates the story of The Blue Jean Committee “Catalina Breeze“.
      The channel is also flooding us with more Armisen, this time, Portlandia. Fast paced, punchy comedy routines, which strikes out in all directions, so making it quite unique. There’s of whiff of Seinfeld, The Goodies, Goons, and even The Big Bang Theory (detracts for me – not being a fan).
      Pity it had to end though. 🙁

Will take a look at Rampage. It’s actually been on Hulu’s home page for a few weeks now, pestering me to watch it 😛

Sorry! I watched the original one. I really need to get better at linking the film pages 😛

Documentary Now! is locked behind a paywall here. 🙁 Hopefully I’ll get to watch it at some point!

Will keep an eye out for Portlandia!

I’ve noticed that horror films from independent studios tend to be a bit more fun than those from the big names. At least, I tend to like them more. 😛

For some reason, though, I have a hard time enjoying newer horror films. Anything made since 2010, I find strangely boring. Not sure why. I really should get back to watching decent stuff again, though 😛

Saw Puppet Master yesterday and that was fun. They really did a good job with the puppets!

DeVaultSetter
      Keymaster

My goodness, that’s going back a bit again. Those kinds of movies are the spookiest of all, the PuppetMaster movies feature prominently on the Horror Movies with Dolls list.
        They used to play the made for television Trilogy of Terror on late night TV, here’s the promo:

Recommended! 🙂
        They are repeating Robot Wars on FTA again, it was kind of fun while it lasted, the problem ultimately ended up as sponsorship, what respectable and trusted corporation is ever going to fund a .5 ton mean mechanoid of mayhem?

Cool! I think Roku has Trilogy of Terror so will add it to the watchlist! I really enjoy these older horror films. Much better than more recent ones! I’m also finding I enjoy the unrated ones more than ones with ratings as they’re not as constrained by the ratings outfits so they’re able to put more into them. Some of it is budget related, too 😛

Saw Cannibal Girls yesterday. It was a really good thriller but I wouldn’t call it a comedy. It did have a few chuckles in it but if there was more, it was lost on me.

Roku has a lot of horror classics available on the Roku Channel!

I liked Robot Wars a lot. I haven’t seen it in almost ten years! Yeah, it and Battle Bots come and go over here. At the high school level, the equivalents have been going strong for a while but upper level competitions don’t seem to last. Really makes me sad 🙁

I think I may watch Howard the Duck this weekend. 😛

DeVaultSetter
        Keymaster

Did you end up seeing it? If memory serves, it was forgettable, the comics were much better – and Gerber’s Destroyer Duck was a hoot!
          Yeah, the grindhouse element puts a damper on any schlock comedy. what would make me giggle is the insertion of canned laughter where inappropriate. 😛
          Northwater was brutal, a stark reminder of how challenging life an be without the conveniences of today. No repeat viewing here.
          Right now, streaming Clean Sweep, it’s quite polished, so hoping there will be a second series. Not so with Wayward Pines – it kind of dragged on for too long, with a gloomier outcome than one might have expected.

Yep! It was incredible! Horrible film but absolutely a blast! 😀

I wonder if the local shop may have some of these. Will need to ask them!

Oh, definitely. I do love the laugh tracks and sorely miss them!

Wish I could get it here 🙁

I do need to get back to watching series over films. Perhaps in a few weeks I’ll take a break! 😛

Saw The Amityville Horror yesterday and, while a decent film, it wasn’t my cup of tea. It couldn’t really keep my interest so I only got the gist of it.

Saw Piranha yesterday and that was a blast!

DeVaultSetter
          Keymaster

Yep, only a very mild interest for the Amityville Horror, so one viewing was enough. It was publicized extensively though, MAD’s Calamatyville Horror was better.

Faintly remember seeing Piranha, will keep an eye out!
            “Steven Spielberg called the film “the best of the Jaws ripoffs”” 🙂

The FTA Interview with a Vampire completed last night, it comes as a slightly different angle to the vampire mystique, apparently water isn’t so bad, and they are susceptible to (spoiler) opiates & arsenic. Still, a well told story, and could indeed be worth a second viewing – in twenty years time. 🙂

Portlandia skits bring back memories of MADTV, esp. anything art/food/entertainment:

Mad’s always good! 😀

Still need to go through my old issues!

I really miss MadTV. I stumbled on it from time to time while in hotels and it was always enjoyable!

It’s a shame I can’t catch Portlandia here 🙁

This was an interesting one. Bit slow to start off and doesn’t really get going until about halfway through. The first half is mostly just preparations. Not going on the repeat list even if it was a curiosity with the headliners

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane was a good one but it definitely wasn’t a horror film, even though Roku classifies it as such.

Probably going to take a break from these films for a bit and watch straight comedy before I search out some bad films to watch. Got Porky’s lined up as well as Fletch and some Troma films 😀

DeVaultSetter
            Keymaster

Anything with Leslie Nielson usually turns out well, especially before he started doing comedy. 😛 And JL Curtis’s dancing an eyecatcher!
              Yeah, The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane is described as cross genre, noting it won a Saturn award for Horror, the mystery element also makes it definitely on the watchlist here.
              Those others look good as well, do remember Fletch. They want to start putting some of these on the FTA channels, too, a minor setback is that their programming staff have been programmed to make us all miserable. 😛
              Currently streaming Devils (Diavoli), it’s about fictitious events in 2011, which initially made me think the series was made around then. These eyes are not well enough trained to spot any anomalies (e.g. Dempsey ~2021 versus Dempsey ~2011) until reading the Wikipedia article at time of writing. 😛

Oh! This was also a good one

And Terror Train was fun. Although, they did kill off Copperfield’s character in the sword box 😛

Porky’s is no longer available for viewing, sadly 🙁

However! Slumber Party Massacre II is available, which could be fun. May watch Troma first, though, after I watch Fletch Lives. Troma films are fun!

Yeah, I like to read Wiki after a viewing to help fill in the blanks as I often miss things 🙂

I really should go back to watching anime at some point. Maybe in another week or two

DeVaultSetter
              Keymaster

Meanwhile, a punk’s heritage digs laid bare, and curated for the inquisitive:

😀

Saw Nuke ‘Em High yesterday and that was fun. I do like Troma films but they’re definitely not for everyone!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 156 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Discussion Films & TV Shows