Software: On & Off the Web

Home Forums Discussion Software: On & Off the Web

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    DeVaultSetter
    Keymaster

Yeah, Taskbar Settings => Widgets, turn off, don’t use MS Widgets here much as heavily dependent on FTA state media news delivery. The default settings of the widget entails quite a bit of polling from news/weather servers, given some investment in time, you could get them to filter thing to taste. 🙂
      Updated VS, but still to get something up on it.
      Posting something new at the AHK site is weird, since there’s an hourglass on the tab/window for about 20-30 seconds after posting. Yet opening the same topic in another tab/window reveals it is already posted while the hourglass remains. Might be be something related to a Cloudflare setting, who knows?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by DeVaultSetter.

Perfect. Thanks! They could have made that clearer! I do lose weather information, which was helpful, but don’t miss the news ticker. 🙂

Sounds good. No hurry! My tools came in the other day, just haven’t had a chance to get things sorted yet. Will get there! Also need to see if some reading glasses help with the eyestrain I’ve been experiencing. 😛

Yeah, could be the CDN doing something or it could even be something like an embedded media post not being able to load. That’ll also do it

DeVaultSetter
      Keymaster

No change at the AHK forums as yet, not really a big issue. Tried out a game over there created in V1, he said he derived much of his impetus from ChatGPT, looks this will become more of a thing in the future.
        Somehow Co-Pilot got switched on in W11 here, and the bottom right minimise_all_windows area was turned off.
        And something has happened to the mouse in that bottom right area – if approaching that area at moderate speed or greater, the cursor relocates to around an inch above the taskbar on the right. And the resolution of the second (TV) monitor was somehow set to 640X480. Pretty sure it wasn’t PrgLnch, since it hasn’t been launched for ages. 🫤

Cool!

Yeah, they forcibly pushed Copilot out a few weeks ago and turned it on by default. I don’t have plans to use it so I’ve got it turned off. 🙂

Yuck! Really not sure what could be going on with it 🙁

DeVaultSetter
        Keymaster

Thanks for the link, they are right in that AI really has clobbered Bing, not off completely here, will keep it in mind if the AI intrudes. 🙂
          Yeah the Tom’s Hardware forums are mighty popular as well, the locked stickies in Graphics Cards are showing some age, go fig.
          Browsed through this article and comments, Do players cheat with Microsoft Solitaire events, he explains things rather well, unfortunately the webpage is closed for comments, and the blog software has placed the responder posts above the poster’s. His facebook posts had no link for it, so I doomscrolled to his first post and commented there, may not have been the best way of reaching out. 😛
          The Wikipedia page for HubPages says:

In 2018, it was acquired by Maven which gave investors a mild payout.

Is it not reasonable to contend that payouts should actually be a combination of all things mild, styled, wild, and piled?

Hasn’t been edited in five years? That’s a lifetime in tech years (not really!)! 😛

I’m surprised people actually cheat at solitaire!

Yep, it is an odd term. The talk page is filled with cleanup discussion but I didn’t see that mentioned. “Minor” or “small” would be a better fit if they didn’t have a number handy 🙂

DeVaultSetter
          Keymaster

Had the Lithium Battery feed in grid solar system installed a while back, didn’t get the monitoring with Redback Technologies going until recently because of an account schmozzle. Basic interface, nice bar charts though. 🙂
            EOL for AHK V1, thus urging us on to make some headway with the new. How time flies. 😛

How long does the system work when you don’t have access to the main grid?

We have been working with AHK V1 for quite some time. 😛

Will it be very difficult to update the scripts?

DeVaultSetter
            Keymaster

When the grid goes, it’s on battery alone, thus powered outlets are limited, when it occurs on cloudy days, apply extra frugality of the sake of the battery!
              Yep, haven’t attempted it yet, and from community feedback to current conversion tools, considerable intervention is still required.
              Copilot popped up on the Android, funny that, as the device was only supposed to have OneDrive installed on it. Mind you, once these fabulous AI numbots are able to successfully convert PrgLnch into V2, no complaints from this nobbly numbat. 😛
              AliExpress comes on a bit strong after you sign up, as many of the settings are unavailable from the login or account section, and the sitemap being only for warez. It works pretty well, considering the load of millions – perhaps billions of transactions each day. Logged in again a couple of days later, this time it insisted on 2FA, so now they have my mobile number, and then, surprise surprise, they miraculously dug up an old Google account from the Ali Baba days and insisted on merging that as well. Oh Bartleby, oh Technology. 😛
              And, (edit:) somehow ended up accidentally using two accounts on Tech Commnunity, the proposed solution involves more collation of personal data, unfortunately. 😛

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by DeVaultSetter.

Hopefully it goes relatively smoothly. What really irks me is when a library deprecates a function but doesn’t provide a similar function for the task, keeping from being able to upgrade. Gets pretty annoying sometimes 😛

Yuck! No options in the account settings to limit the emails? Never used Ali’s sites before

The search section is pretty neat. Not sure of the practicality of it (sort of like Google’s) but it’s fun from a novelty factor 🙂

DeVaultSetter
              Keymaster

Quite a few commercial sites do that now, rather than set the spam in the settings, find and use the unsubscribe link in the spam. Wonder if that’s the same in Woocommerce and the rest?
                Dostips have been down a couple of weeks at least, the comments at the end of this page are somewhat off-piste as they actually refer to other downed sites. 😛

I’ve also noticed that sometimes the sites ignore your email settings altogether until you click the unsubscribe links at the bottom of the offer emails. Gets pretty annoying 😛

Looks like it’s back up now!

Yeah, the comments look like they’ve had a database puke, blending comments together from several different entries. The result is completely nonsensical 😛

DeVaultSetter
                Keymaster

Yes, the mysterious dostips never had a feedback or announcement mechanism for status, so we’ll never know what happened on the day. 😛
                  Have you ever experienced browser burko with msftconnecttest.com? Happened on w11 Chrome with new browser tabs opening in succession to that address. If it was NCSI, how do the browser pages help I wonder?
                  Ahk’s cert has expired, it might now be in the repair workshop as the site now returns a SQL ERROR, so the link to this interesting class for unit testing may fail. “Harness” is also included in testing jargon these days.
                  Edit: AHK back!
                  What with the release of the Fallout TV series and updates to the FO4, things have go a little wonky at Nexus, undergoing a substantial demand on their servers. Understandable, as some of those mods are gigabyte sized.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by DeVaultSetter.

Nope, never came across that issue. Bit odd if it’s just testing it through a system call.

Cool! Could be quite handy!

Yep, can concur! A couple of my friends just started playing FO 1 and 2 again due to all the hype. Still need to play them myself… That and I never did make much progress in New Vegas. Not sure why when I quite enjoyed Fallout 3

DeVaultSetter
                  Keymaster

The activity on Dostips has slowed down over time, no doubt due to being less a part of the Windows boot process than it was back in the day, except when it comes to dual booting. Find BIOS mode, and even List C for preboot file management are sure to help. 🙂
                    The bugbear of youtube video restricted countries has resurfaced, fairly sure its doable here, so on the to-do pile (in case it ever got loose and slipped out the backdoor). 🙂

I still see DOS used from time to time powering the checkout lanes at a store. Getting to be relatively rare when it wasn’t too long ago that I saw it everywhere (ten years). Saw it recently, too. Think it was last year sometime? Not sure where, didn’t think to make a note of it

Batch files are still very useful for performing repetitive tasks. Granted, most command-line users play with *nix and the syntax isn’t as pleasant but still handy. 🙂

Ooh, do you remember Midnight Commander? Fifteen, twenty years ago it was having a surge of interest in the Windows community mostly for being something different.

Yeah, it’d be nice to be able to provide that filter.

Looks like Microsoft is beginning to deprecate VBScript. Out of curiosity, is there another language that can be used for “extensions” on Windows?

Recalled this gem the other day: https://www.armadillorun.com/

Have fond memories of playing it years ago. I wonder how it’s held up over the decades?

DeVaultSetter
                    Keymaster

Yes! Get it at Sourceforge! There’s a list of Norton inspired warez at Wikipedia, the “K” in Krusader was an inspired choice for sure!
                      Batch is an oldie but a goodie, as is PS and JS, subject is mentioned at vbforums as well, logged in there recently only to find the user account is bricked. 🙁

Nice. 🙂 Must confess that game has not been sampled here yet, it’s on the list. The forum, once abuzz with activity and excitement has of late settled into a long period of hush hush. 🙂

Weird how some posts at HP get removed without explanation, over at Intel, posted a CPU-Z link in a thread that got me banned altogether, took a little while for support to welcome us back in for the reply. Note, their permalinks don’t anchor in Edge, speaking of which, some unspeakable agents of doom have gone and removed section anchors in Wikipedia articles, go fig.

Weird issue with MS Learn pages when logged in, looking at that thread some countries have it fixed already while others continue on with the pain. 🙁

(WMIS) is down, hence all the Metadata staging failed errors in the event log. Not to be confused with WMI which will continue in favour of MI.

WMIC is going btw, would have looked good in Midnight Commander to be sure!

Passwords import from csv via Edge won’t allow a skip option for an “errant” record, so it will fail for the whole lot, unfortunately.

Can those be used in Windows without an additional interpreter? That was the nice thing about VB script: it could be used right out of the box.

Yeah, sad about the forums. Reminds me of GHF, to be honest: folks just drifted away over time.

Ugh!

Yeah, hate it when things like that happen. Very annoying!

Was reminded of pandoc the other day. Very useful little program for converting file types. So you could easily turn a Markdown file into a nicely printable PDF or even a PDF into an editable .doc. I used it to convert API documentation into a PDF so that I could print it out and stick it in a notebook for ease of browsing 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 83 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Discussion Software: On & Off the Web