Baldur’s Gate

Home Forums Discussion Baldur’s Gate

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    DeVaultSetter
    Keymaster

Had a beautifully working version of BG1 (DVD Trilogy) installed on a 500GB drive in the old kaput W7/W8 machine before said 500GB drive was transferred to this rig, (and still spins around very well).
      Unfortunately, the drive names had changed in the original move, and no fiddling of the ini files changed it. Another side effect of continuing on in a game after ten years was the convenient omission of the existence of the following registry key.
      Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Baldur's Gate
      This key contains the last used drive letters in the CurrentDirectory and Path subkeys, and the game won’t start unless they match with current.

So “had” to re-install, rather than make two small edits in the registry. 🙄

Edit:
      The game installation updates the following key:
      Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\BGMain.exe
      The Default subkey is the BGMain.exe location, the Path subkey points to the folder where BGMain.exe is located, if they are manually changed to other locations, the game won’t start.
      Curiously, on 64 bit systems (who doesn’t have one these days?), modifications of the following key has no effect.
      Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\BGMain.exe
      Had a “delayed” effect, this particular type of key is synced by system it seems.

Currently using the complete 4 in 1 Boxset 1.3.5508 patched up to 1.3.5512. Some of the following patches were applied, and it so happens, if re-applied, cause assertion errors on startup, mostly related to resolution issues. Older patches on newer installs can overwrite the existing executable with an older copy, also causing errors on startup.  Watch out for enhanced edition patches and mods, as there may be incompatibilities, certainly in the game saves.
      The experts at GOG say the original edition is better modded, unlike the enhanced edition.
      Performed a Winmerge diff on the new and old BG1 installs, turns out there’s extra stuff in the override folder of the original install of unknown origin, which adds extra mystery to the coming experience.

Popular patches for games with the Tales of the Sword Coast come like:

• bgtosc_uk.exe
        • BGTalesUS5512.exe
        • BG1TOSCGameTextUpdate11.exe
        • BG1FixPack11.exe
        • DFxBG1_FixPack-1.zip, DFxBG1_FixPack-2.zip, DFxBG1_FixPack-3.zip

The NVIDIA settings on the GTX650 were mainly turned off:

Setting ID_PS_TEXFILTER_NO_NEG_LODBIAS_ID = 0x00000000
      Setting ID_PS_TEXFILTER_DISABLE_TRILIN_SLOPE_ID = 0x00000001
      Setting ID_VSYNCTEARCONTROL_ID = 0x99941284
      Setting ID_PS_TEXFILTER_BILINEAR_IN_ANISO_ID = 0x00000000
      Setting ID_VSYNCMODE_ID = 0x47814940
      Setting ID_QUALITY_ENHANCEMENTS_ID = 0x0000000a
      Setting ID_PS_TEXFILTER_ANISO_OPTS2_ID = 0x00000000
      Setting ID_VSYNC_SMOOTH_AFR = 0x00000000
      Setting ID_ANISO_MODE_LEVEL_ID = 0x00000001
      Setting ID_AA_MODE_SELECTOR_SLIAA_ID = 0x00000000
      Setting ID_AA_MODE_GAMMACORRECTION_ID = 0x00000000
      Setting ID_AA_MODE_SELECTOR_ID = 0x00000001
      Setting ID_ANISO_MODE_SELECTOR_ID = 0x00000001
      Setting ID_AA_MODE_METHOD_ID = 0x00000000

Huge number of patches and mods (Dudley) here, browse through Weidu at Github and Gibberlings for mods for the original and enhanced editions.

NerdyPleasures offer a nice summary of releases, there is a modding discussion at PocketPlane, a handy PickPocket Reference, and a comprehensive modding guide at Reddit.

• This topic was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by DeVaultSetter.
      • This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by DeVaultSetter.
      • This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by DeVaultSetter.
      DeVaultSetter
      Keymaster

Reported the diffed files as follows, the mage.chr is also different, so could have installed a character mod back then.

Compare I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override with I:\games\baldur’s gate New\Override

10/09/2023 9:44:05 PM

Filename Folder Comparison result Left Date Right Date Extension
        ALBERT.DLG Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 1/07/2001 3:58:56 PM DLG
        ALDETH.DLG Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 2/07/2001 2:22:40 AM DLG
        ALIGNMNT.2DA Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 9/06/2001 1:41:30 PM 2DA
        AR0116.ARE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 1/07/2001 10:43:50 AM ARE
        Ar0116.bcs Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 1/07/2001 10:34:08 AM bcs
        Ar0128.bcs Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 2/07/2001 12:12:14 AM bcs
        AR0717.ARE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 13/06/2001 7:40:48 PM ARE
        Ar1100.bcs Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 1/07/2001 11:36:12 PM bcs
        ARGHAI.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:20:44 PM CRE
        Arow05.itm Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 29/06/2001 8:16:26 PM itm
        AROW12.ITM Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 1/07/2001 9:13:32 AM ITM
        AROW14.ITM Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 1/07/2001 9:12:58 AM ITM
        BANDCAP.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:50:12 PM CRE
        BANDCR.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:49:50 PM CRE
        BANDIC.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:49:28 PM CRE
        BANDIT.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:49:14 PM CRE
        BANDIT2.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:46:28 PM CRE
        BANDIT3.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:45:34 PM CRE
        BANDITA.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:45:10 PM CRE
        BANDITC.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:43:22 PM CRE
        BANDITCY.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:42:50 PM CRE
        BILLY.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:42:24 PM CRE
        BRAC06.ITM Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 13/06/2001 9:08:18 PM ITM
        CANTO.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:41:34 PM CRE
        CULT3.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 29/06/2001 6:53:06 PM CRE
        DRIBBE.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:41:02 PM CRE
        Flamal.bcs Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 2/07/2001 3:33:30 AM bcs
        Flamal.cre Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 2/07/2001 12:21:10 AM cre
        GORPEL.DLG Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 1/07/2001 12:17:18 PM DLG
        HOBGOBC.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 7:39:48 PM CRE
        JALANT.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 30/06/2001 6:11:16 PM CRE
        JEMBY.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:39:22 PM CRE
        KNOTT.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:38:18 PM CRE
        MARL.DLG Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 15/06/2001 11:53:54 PM DLG
        NEVILL.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:37:58 PM CRE
        NOBW8.DLG Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 14/06/2001 9:52:34 PM DLG
        ORDULI.DLG Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 7/07/2001 9:09:44 AM DLG
        OUBLEK.DLG Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 30/06/2001 9:13:00 PM DLG
        RAEMON.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:32:16 PM CRE
        RAMAZI.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 16/06/2001 9:04:24 AM CRE
        REPMAN.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:24:10 PM CRE
        SPWI003.SPL Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 7/07/2001 8:50:46 AM SPL
        SPWI112.SPL Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 7/07/2001 8:52:32 AM SPL
        sw1h20.itm Binary files are different * 17/06/2001 11:52:44 AM 10/05/1999 11:18:18 AM itm
        SW1H22.itm Binary files are different * 17/06/2001 11:53:34 AM 14/04/1999 1:56:52 PM itm
        sw1h23.itm Binary files are different * 17/06/2001 11:53:30 AM 27/05/1999 2:37:08 PM itm
        TAEROM.DLG Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 30/06/2001 10:18:10 AM DLG
        TEYNGA.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:23:36 PM CRE
        THUG.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:22:34 PM CRE
        TRAPDIS.bcs Text files are different * 29/06/2001 10:53:30 PM 16/04/1999 3:32:28 PM bcs
        TREMAI.DLG Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 27/06/2001 11:54:00 PM DLG
        ZEKAR.CRE Left only: I:\games\Baldur’s Gate\Override * 28/06/2001 6:21:52 PM CRE

Good to know. Have you tried the Enhanced versions? I wonder if they fix some of the quirks.

Do they mean that the original plays nicer with mods or that mods improve it more than they would the Enhanced version?

They are on the list! 🙂

DeVaultSetter
        Keymaster

Probably not, for no other good reason than the other squillion games waiting on the to-do pile. 😛
          Yeah, seems that way looking at this post at GOG, but things have changed somewhat since then. Reading from the general consensus from this thread at Reddit, if you were to acquire the game now, get the EE. In purchasing the game around 2007, the choice was not available, as Beamdog was not even embryonic. 😛

DeVaultSetter
          Keymaster

Edited the OP, turns out the vanilla Override folder in the New directory was pointed to, and the extra files in the original Override folder caused the resolution exception. Must have contained some widescreen mod files that somehow got misconfigured or mangled – who knows? Edit: The extra files are viewable here, and all date from around 2001, so must be have been from a re-issue of part of another earlier official patch most likely 1.3.5521.
            The nasty error occurred after the physical removal of the “baldur’s gate New”, upon which the initial reaction was: 😲

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by DeVaultSetter.
            On Laurie Stearn said

Probably not, for no other good reason than the other squillion games waiting on the to-do pile. 😛
            Yeah, seems that way looking at this post at GOG, but things have changed somewhat since then. Reading from the general consensus from this thread at Reddit, if you were to acquire the game now, get the EE. In purchasing the game around 2007, the choice was not available, as Beamdog was not even embryonic. 😛

Sounds good. I think the EE versions also added support for higher resolutions, which is always nice in these types of games to better see the playing area. 🙂

On Laurie Stearn said

Edited the OP, turns out the vanilla Override folder in the New directory was pointed to, and the extra files in the original Override folder caused the resolution exception. Must have contained some widescreen mod files that somehow got misconfigured or mangled – who knows? Edit: The extra files are viewable here, and all date from around 2001, so must be have been from a re-issue of part of another earlier official patch most likely 1.3.5521.
            The nasty error occurred after the physical removal of the “baldur’s gate New”, upon which the initial reaction was: 😲

Possibly! I know widescreen hacks can sometimes cause issues. In Rollercoaster Tycoon, you need to manually add in the extra resolutions with a hex editor. The game engine itself can handle them but the resolutions are hardcoded into the executable. Not exactly an elegant solution but it works 😛

DeVaultSetter
            Keymaster

Down deep in dungeons, the un-pausing of the game while in inventory gets one’s goat after a while, mainly due to the fiddly nature of full inventories. Fortunately, it can be paused, by copying over the saves to the multiplayer save directory, and setting up a solo MP game, as it were.
              Fine, save for a couple of hiccups mentioned over at GOG. 😛

DeVaultSetter
              Keymaster

Further random blatherings prompted by investigations from no dialogue from the courtesan in the NW section of East Baldur’s Gate. It turns out her message was the single utterance of a carriage return!

1. After a lengthy and somewhat painful Google-ude (Google interlude), found that Debug Mode=1 doesn’t work for console access in this game edition, rather:

[Game Options]
                  Cheats=1

2. The baldur.lua file popular with the EE is non-existent on this install, as is the existence of any My Documents\Baldur's Gate folder and the lesser known similarly named subdirectory which may show up in AppData\Local\VirtualStore.
                3. There’s quite a variety of ini settings, many are explained as at Beamdog or Reddit, not yet found a meaning for:

Memory Level=1

Know that Memory Access=100 sets the blood & gore to that level. 😛

4. For EE, Github hosts an ini config app for Infinity engine here and here, no mention of the base game, so use at own risk.
                5. The save file editor parses the contents well enough, haven’t tested it by writing yet.
                6. One option for improved rendering in the game is the WineD3D patch, upside: nice program, downside: extra files.

Weird! That sounds like a translation file got messed up somewhere

Memory access defines the blood level…? I really don’t understand that logic 😛

So are you running it on Linux, then?

DeVaultSetter
                Keymaster

Yes, could be intentional as well – if only recollections of the previous gameplay 10 years back could shed light on similar! Right now, half a day on, the courtesan and her (conversationable) companion have disappeared from the area. As a matter of interest, it’s not immediately obvious if such movements and dialog of unnamed NPCs are moddable – or even trackable at all.
                  Haven’t got Linux installed yet, never was a question of if, but when! 🙂

Few more random gleanings:

• Another pitfall in running mods or patches on a DVD installation is the read only permissions on the root Baldur’s Gate folder set by the installer. If left untouched, there’s always the suspicion some mod installs will report a successful write or patch when actually nothing has happened.
                  • There exists a remnant log of an attempted BGT setup back in 2012, SETUP-BGT.DEBUG, the failure was because:

Throne of Bhaal is required to install this modification.

Weird, have the 4 CD set – maybe they wanted a full install to disk instead.

• Bioware also kind of messed up their versioning in the 1.3.5512 official patch. The BGMain and BGMain2 executables are replaced with files in the patch with version numbers 1.3.0.1. The launcher, Balder.exe has a version of 1.0.0.0., and the readme it links to shows a version of 1.3.5508!
                  • An option to provide a full stack dump in Baldur.ini exists, Debug Dump=1, might have been an issue back in the day when upon accidentally hitting the dump hotkey, finding the system in hard labour from the flush of activity from the disk drive.
                  • Inserting the following line in baldur.ini made no detectable visual change in-game:

OpenGL VERSION=-1

The setting is seen in a different form (and values 0 and 1) in some more recent LUA EE configs, not sure if the original game used it, OpenGL was version 1 at the time.

• Console commands are discussed at length in Chapter 11 at Pocketplane’s Volothamp’s Comeuppance:
                    A more concise list lives at the IESDP appendices.
                  • Ooh, and the IESDP itself is whopping large, providing support for all the great Infinity games.

Could be a registry mix-up for the expansion not being detected. Have you checked there?

They also have active forums! Nice change from most places switching over to Discord 🙂

DeVaultSetter
                  Keymaster

Could have been, the relevant reg keys are in the OP above, but now with Widescreen and HD Gui working well enough, there’s no need. 🙂
                    Please forgive the above omission of GemRB for Linux and Windows, and yep, they have a forum up as well. 🙂

Looks like they’re still working on EE support. Will keep an eye on it!

DeVaultSetter
                    Keymaster

Yeah, there’s still issues with EE even after all this time, a major improvement would be to adjust the angle of view in the interaction area. By how much, and too how much it would or should impact gameplay and quest progression is more a question for a dedicated patch team than some random modder. For no other reason than a complete decompilation, followed by considerable restructuring of the game engine code. 😛
                      Another little quirky thing bobbed up regarding Windows and DirectX immersion, if you run Disk Cleanup during an active game, the cleanup progress bar window will flash in and out of the game screen until Disk Cleanup is complete. Even when the cleanup progress is moved off screen, the game doesn’t quite run how it should.

Yeah, adjusting the camera angle is an important feature. It really helps to see things that are blocked by other objects, even with the ghost outlines that a lot of games like to use.

Seen that with quite a few older games. Was pretty annoying when playing on newer versions of Windows as the notification feature would often trigger the weirdness, requiring either a restart of the game of alt-tabbing to bring back the focus lock. The method varied from game to game. It may have had to do with some focus lock features missing back then in Windows as it was so prevalent.

Anymore updates? 🙂

DeVaultSetter
                      Keymaster

On the shiny new SSE machine now, so won’t get back to Baldur’s until April. Do remember a large number of quests popping up once the team has passed Wyrm’s Crossing though. 🙂

Ah, okay. I’ve been playing a lot of No Man’s Sky the past couple of weeks. Been working on building out the power grid for my starter base. Once I get everything unlocked, I’ll make one on a nice lush planet I have access to. Of course, it’ll take a lot of asteroid mining to get the gold I need for the solar arrays 😛

Sounds good 🙂

It’d be nice to get some images together for our playthroughs but those would take up a lot of space!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Discussion Baldur’s Gate