Computer Setup

Home Forums Projects Computer Setup

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Huh, no device loading is pretty weird. Had that happen over here a couple of months ago but it cleared itself up after a few microcode and kernel updates (even weirder as that shouldn’t have affected the UEFI). Does everything still work in the OS itself?

DeVaultSetter
    Keymaster

As USB sticks are quite cheap these days, purchased 64gb one from the local office suppliers. All well and good until it came to make it a recovery drive. The recovery program spat the dummy not recognizing the format. Windows did report 64gb as per volume info on the drive, so went ahead and formatted it through explorer – funny that it would format to no greater capacity than 32gb. Nevertheless, it’s functioning as a recovery drive, so in light of no response to the linked thread in above post, happy enough to leave it just so, even if there is insufficient reason not to continue (despite weird stuff like this for instance 😛 ). WinPE will for now remain a YA WinPD (Yet Another Windows Pipe Dream). 🙂

What filesystem did you format it as? It may have been a filesystem limitation.

Weird that original run didn’t properly set up the system files. Of course, I’ve never tried to set up a Windows recovery drive (I’ve always just used the installation media). Are things well on the way to recovery now, then?

DeVaultSetter
      Keymaster

In Windows the only option provided is FAT32, could try an NFTS formatted flash for Recovery, could it be their program would actually query the file system?
        No recovery required yet, as everything is fine now, as the deck chairs on the Titanic are all aligned and looking very comfortable. 🙂

Just succumbed the urge to oscillate from the thread regarding the blessed UPS batteries, they have eventually arrived, yay, as there happened to a bit of a hold-up. So was prompted at receipt of delivery to submit a review to Google, which was done, and as it has turned out, now showing at Google Maps.

Been a while so I had to reacquaint myself with how Windows works…

Looks like that’s a limitation in Windows. The Windows tools only have the ability to create a 32 GB volume but the OS has no problem recognizing and working with it up to its maximum size of 16 TB. In order to go above 32 GB, you’ll need to use a different tool or file system. Why these inconsistencies exist is beyond me but they’re very annoying! Part of why I prefer *nix. 😛

Another item to add to our potential knowledge base. 🙂

Just make sure your life jacket is handy and you’re sitting next to the lifeboats!

Great! Have you installed them yet?

DeVaultSetter
        Keymaster

Yes, seems OK, now have to test the rig on it. 🙂
          Oh, and beneath the molded pulp packaging was, yes, the clear A3 sized instruction sheet for installation. Compare that to their Battery Cartridge Replacement Guide, being a tiny image that, despite taking a while to load in the browser, is still small enough to obscure the doc id (990-1603V) and date of publication (10/2005) at the top left. Directly under that are listed the model numbers followed by the visual instruction guides for the Back-UPS RS/XS units, which include the one in question here, fortunately.
          Interestingly, the flip side of the hard-copy document also has a similar set of instructions for other models, for anyone wishing to download the unreadable and non-existent instructions for their legacy UPS’s, good luck with that. 🙂
          It can serve as a quasi-knowledge resource so long as the search facility is active, otherwise it’s either Google if the pages have been spidered, or trawling thread by vaulting thread in the forlorn hope of locating any trace of treasure!

Yeah, tracking down manuals for older products can be hard! It’d be nice if the manufacturers kept an archive for them but not all of them do, sadly. For my turntable, I had to grab it from a third-party site even though Thorens is still going strong.

Looks pretty straightforward: just a matter of popping open the compartment and slotting it in. 🙂 Sometimes, things can get a bit more complicated than that 😛

DeVaultSetter
          Keymaster

Yes it was, and they included evidence of the battery having been vetted with an attached note entitled “Battery Qualification Test” revision “123”, tabulating Date, Time, Operator IDs, Model, Serial numbers, Voltage and Impedance all signed off. Quite weighty as well, so transit costs may prohibit any return if it turns out to be a dud.

Great! Hopefully the testing notes mean you won’t need to return it any time soon 🙂

At some point, I’ll probably wind up with an NAS. Still need to do a lot of tidying up before one can go on the wish-list. Also need to find a place to stash the Thelio box until the warranty is up. The box is huge! 😛

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Projects Computer Setup