Reply To: Computer Setup

Home Forums Projects Computer Setup Reply To: Computer Setup

That was…surprisingly painless. I booted the installation USB, which sent me to the Install Windows area. At first, I was a bit confused as I thought it would give me a menu to select Install, Repair, etc. Next, I hit Shift + F10 as instructed and that brought up a system command prompt. One there, I tracked down the system drive letter with

diskpart
list volume
exit

The system volume is generally the largest partition formatted as NTFS. After that, I typed:
Bcdboot <volume>:\Windows
I exited the command prompt and then exited the Install window with the big X (why it still uses the W7 theme to install W11 is beyond me (I’m a bit of a stickler for visual consistency 😛 )) to reboot.
Boom. Windows was back. Took me all of two minutes.

Next step is to reconfigure systemd-boot. Hopefully that’s just a simple matter of adjusting the timeout but we’ll find out. The PopOS drive still shows as bootable in the UEFI menu, at least. 🙂

Honestly, I was expecting more trouble than that.

Edit:

Boom. systemd-boot is updated. Just had to add timeout 5 to loader.conf in the ESP. 🙂

Final analysis: Windows didn’t mess with the ESP at all when updating it. Why it can’t do that during the Windows installation process is beyond me. It would make a lot more sense to just run the command than to reset the entire ESP when detected. Same with Linux installers.

Now the question becomes, what next?