Reply To: Computer Setup

Home Forums Projects Computer Setup Reply To: Computer Setup

Had to reinstall Linux but that only fixed some of the issues. So the firmware upgrade has caused the device drivers to act slow in the UEFI menu now and in the bootloader. In addition, reinstalling Linux seems to have broken the Windows bootloader (data is still there). That doesn’t even make sense. Guess I need to boot up the Windows USB and see if I can run a repair job then repair the Linux bootloader yet again….

Hopefully I can get everything back up and running with minimal recovery work. I guess things have changed with how to run a dual-boot system since I last initially set it up years ago. Used to be that you installed Windows first and then Linux and things worked. Granted, that was with GRUB so systemd-boot may be different. It’s also quite possible I missed a step that wasn’t mentioned. I vaguely recall having to copy the EFI image for Windows at some point over the last ten years so I could bring it back over after a Linux install. That’s likely what happened. If so, it’s possible I could simply copy the image from the USB but I’m not entirely sure….

I think I’ll look more into things another day and read a book today. One problem at a time so I don’t get too overwhelmed. Now that I remember, this is expected behavior. I now recall seeing an option in the past to use existing ESP (wasn’t in the PopOS installer or at least I didn’t see it) so this is something that just slipped my mind as it’s been a long time since I did this kind of juggling. Fortunately, I’ve been keeping good notes in this thread. Unfortunately, all of this is putting added stress on the SSDs that I’d rather avoid but I wasn’t expecting the firmware upgrade to bork things like this.

To anyone else reading this: forgive me for venting my frustrations! I find it helps to walk through what I’m thinking in problem solving. 🙂